Last week I gave a little heads up about tonight’s fight card on Showtime.
The guy I’m most eager to see is Ruben Villa and I think Boxing TL;DR readers should check him out and tune in on this kid’s career.
He had an incredible amateur career and at 21 his pro career is off to a 14-0 start.
The rest of the card is here, but Ruben’s the only one I’m watching for
Jan. 11: Shreveport, La. (Showtime)
- Devin Haney vs. Xolisani Ndongeni, 10 rounds, lightweights
- Ruben Villa vs. Ruben Cervera, 8 rounds, featherweights
- Frank Sanchez Faure vs. Willie Jake Jr., 8 rounds, heavyweights
There aren’t really any cards for you to catch on Saturday night, but oddly enough there is a Sunday night card on Fox Sports 1 here in Los Angeles.
I think it’s sneakily a big one. If things play out right…
Jan. 13: Los Angeles (Fox Sports 1/Fox Deportes)
- Title fight: Jose Uzcategui vs. Caleb Plant, 12 rounds, for Uzcategui’s IBF super middleweight title
- Brandon Figueroa vs. Moises Flores,12 rounds, WBA junior featherweight eliminator
- Joey Spencer vs. Brandon Harder, 4 rounds, junior middleweights
- Guillermo Rigondeaux vs. Giovanni Delgado, 10 rounds, junior featherweights
I’ll be honest, I’m super bullish on Caleb Plant and I’m going hard for him in this fight. Some are saying this is too early of a test for him, and Uzcatequi is a monster, but if the 17-0 Plant can pull this off it will be a huge statement.
Joey Spencer is another young guy who you should really put on your list of names to follow. Catch him on Sunday’s card on Fox Sports 1. You could also find plenty of highlight videos on YouTube, or here’s one.
I just want to pose a question.
Is Gillermo Rigondoux kind of over?
He’s fighting a 16-8 yourneyman who is 1-7 in his last 8 bouts.
Rigo only lost 1 fight and in his return fight he’s stepping down that much?
Is this the Lomachenko effect? Take so much of the will out of him as he did in their bout that he isn’t taking a bigger bite in his return fight? I’m not talking trash, I bet you we’ll find out that Delgado is a tough dude. I am just a little surprised is all. Rigo is just so damn skilled, cut from a different cloth, cut from that Cuban cloth, you know what I mean?
I appreciated the replies to last week’s newsletter. I love hearing from you guys.